About Us

Hammel House Inn

The traveling public has experienced the hospitality of bed and board at the location of the Hammel House Inn since 1787. The Jenning's House was the original log tavern structure. It was replaced in 1817 by the present building which was remodeled in 1857, 1872 and 1987. The brick portion was added in 1822.

 

This historic locale received its current name and popularity during the ownership of Enoch Hammel. Although Mr. Hammel was an upstanding community member, a candidate for county sheriff, and a Wayne Township trustee, his establishment did not always share such accolades. A local Quaker lady, Mrs. Anna O'Neal, described the activities at the Hammel House as "bacchanalian revelry and ribald conduct." During her families' temporary stay in a residence directly across the street from the business, she arranged for a large wagon to be parked in front of her cabin so that her children would not witness the daily debauchery.

 

In later years, the Hammel House was remodeled and refitted by Mr. W.O. Gustin, who added electricity, hot and cold running water, and all possible conveniences as befitted a first-class country hotel. The renamed Gustin House also boasted a livery and feed stable. Mr. Gustin was an ardent admirer of fine driving and coach horses, and his penchant for fine horse flesh may well be the explanation for the Hammel House's infamous legends and not the establishment's ribald reputation.

 

The Hammel House was host to U.S. President Martin Van Buren and Vice President Richard Johnson between 1823 and 1829. Almost famous for an unscheduled stop of former President George W. Bush, the Hammel House had to settle for a drive-by wave and compliments from the Commander-in-Chief in September of 2004

.

The Hammel House is now owned and operated by the Bowman family, long-time residents and restauranteurs in Wayne Township, and it remains well-known and appreciated for its small town charm and hospitality.

Fern Wood Computer Services